If there's one summer vegetable I think you should be gorging on right this second, it's heirloom tomatoes. And if possible, hoarding them like crazy.
You see, heirloom tomatoes are one of those rare veggies (I know, I know, they're actually fruits--whatever) that are NOT available year-round everywhere. In today's 24/7 world of international shipping, that's uncommon.
And they're nothing like the blemish-free, standard red tomatoes you see in the supermarket all year. Those tomatoes are lackluster and flavorless. They're hybridized to look perfect and ship well across long distances.
Who cares what they look like? It's all about the taste, folks!
And if you want a tomato that tastes like an actual tomato, you had better choose an heirloom variety. Once you do, I promise that come wintertime you'll be dreaming about heirloom tomatoes and longing for summer. (Welcome to the club.)
Since we're just about to hit tomato season (they can take awhile to grow), I wanted to create a round-up of recipes you can reference for heirloom tomato ideas.
As much as I love popping heirloom cherry tomatoes directly into my mouth with a bit of mozzarella cheese and basil, it's fun to use them in a variety of dishes.
- Baby Heirloom Tomato Salad by Beauty and the Foodie
- Bacon & Heirloom Tomato Frittata with Basil by Paleo Spirit
- Burst Tomato Galette with Lamb & Prunes by Grok Grub (pictured above)
- Chicken Sandwich with Heirloom Tomato & Avocado on Sourdough by The Rising Spoon
- Classic Heirloom Tomato Sauce by Food & Style
- Roasted Tomatoes with Fresh Herbs & Garlic by The Rising Spoon
- Creamy Lemon Pasta with Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes by The Rising Spoon
- Creamy Tomato Garlic Soup by The Prairie Homestead
- Garden Fresh Chilled Tomato Soup by Live Simply (pictured above)
- Chicken Sandwich with Heirloom Tomato & Avocado by The Rising Spoon
- Heirloom Cherry Tomato & Fresh Mozzarella Salad by The Rising Spoon (pictured above)
- Greek Salad with Cucumbers & Tomatoes by The Rising Spoon
- Heirloom Tomato Bloody Mary by Honestly Yum
- Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta by Laylita's Recipes
- Heirloom Tomato Caprese Verrine by Home Sweet Jones
- Heirloom Tomato & Goat Cheese Tart by Just a Taste
- Heirloom Tomato Sandwich with Creamy Herb Dressing by The Organic Kitchen
- Homemade Pizza Sauce (To Freeze) by Real Food RN
- Sauteed Summer Vegetables with Pastured Eggs by The Rising Spoon (pictured above)
- Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl with Mini Heirloom Tomatoes, Diced Cucumber & Avocado by The Rising Spoon
- Simple Heirloom Tomato & Burrata Salad by So Let's Hang Out (pictured above)
- Spiced Lentil Soup with Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes by Nourished Kitchen
- Zucchini Noodles with Ginger and Tomatoes by The Organic Kitchen (pictured above)
Want to learn more about heirloom tomatoes and all their unique varieties?
Check out this beautiful book called The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table: Recipes, Portraits and History of the World's Most Beautiful Fruit.
Pin this for later!
Click Here to Sign Up For My Weekly Newsletter!
I'd like to hear from YOU!
What's your favorite way to incorporate heirloom tomatoes into dishes?