I can't believe it's already the last day of 2014! Like clockwork, every year when New Year's Eve hits I think to myself "man, this year really whizzed by", as though time speeds up when you grow older.
In reality, time passes just the same. We only feel its presence differently. That's why it's so important to make time for quiet, slow moments and periods of reflection. Wouldn't you agree?
This past year has yielded a variety of lovely firsts in my life, which makes me eager to see what awaits me in 2015! Especially since I didn't expect many of these things to happen the year before.
In 2014 I had the following "first time" experiences:
- traveling overseas (London and Norway)
- traveling to the Rocky Mountains (specifically Breckenridge, Colorado)
- learning to snowboard (sort of)
- incorporating essential oils into my daily routine
- buying a DSLR camera and nifty fifty lens (only a few days ago!)
- switching to homemade lip balm and body butter instead of the commercial variety
I also expanded my blog post focus from real food recipes and natural living articles to DIY craft projects to reflect my growing desire for homemade non-toxic beauty, bath, and home products. As a result of this, and generally more work on my part in the form of networking and promoting, I've managed to double my blog's traffic (i.e. pageviews and visitors) from this time last year. YAY!
I have SO many great things planned for The Rising Spoon in 2015, but in the meantime I'd love to take a gander back at the most popular posts from 2014.
If you're a new reader, this is an excellent opportunity to catch up on some of my best (and most widely read) posts from the past year. And, as I did in 2013 and 2012, I'm including my top five personal favorites, which has nothing to do with stats and only how happy they made me!
Without further adieu...
Top Five Most Popular Recipe Posts From 2014:
As in years past, my most popular recipes from the year turned out to either be ones that were comforting or ones that showed folks how to make something homemade so they could avoid the store-bought version. I'm not surprised, although that's why I like to add my own favorites (see below) to this "best of" post so I can include the random recipes I loved throughout the year!
5. Homemade Spinach & Artichoke Dip Without Mayo
4. Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning Mix
3. Red Cabbage Coleslaw with Tangy Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
2. How to Make Homemade Toffee Without Corn Syrup
1. Homemade Peppermint Extract
Top Five Most Popular DIY Craft Posts From 2014:
I started fiddling with my own homemade beauty and craft projects years ago, but this year decided to start posting several of my successful projects. Most of them are so easy to make that I feel it's my duty to illustrate to people just how simple (and oftentimes inexpensive) it is to start making your own non-toxic products at home.
5. How to Make Whipped Body Butter with Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, and Jojoba Oil
4. DIY Honey Lavender Lip Scrub
3. How to Make Lip Balm
2. Homemade Bug Bite Salve
1. Homemade Lemon Sugar Scrub
Top Five Most Popular Natural Living Articles & Round-Ups From 2014:
Several of my informative, non-recipe posts were the most popular on my blog this year. I attribute this to the helpful information shared within, especially in regards to my detox post! I enjoy writing and sharing the topics I'm passionate about in between recipes and craft projects, so I'm happy to see that they are reaching folks. :)
5. Ten Tips For Meal Planning with Real Food
4. 40+ Dehydrator Recipes For Preserving Food, Saving Money & Eating Healthier
3. 20 Ideas For Using Up Roasted Chicken
2. What is Bulletproof Coffee + The Benefits of Grass-Fed Butter & Coconut Oil in Your Coffee
1. Fifteen Ways to Detox Naturally Without Starving Yourself or Going Broke
My Top Five Favorite Posts From 2014:
Here are a few of the tastiest recipes that came out of my kitchen in 2014 that actually made it to the blog. I look forward to making them again in 2015, although a few (like the roasted tomatoes) will only be enjoyed seasonally.
5. Pan-Fried Avocado Halves Stuffed With Pulled Pork
4. Creamy Lemon Pasta with Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes
3. Slow Cooked Beef Pot Roast with Tomatoes and Green Chiles
2. Homemade Skillet Cornbread with Masa Harina & Green Chiles
1. Roasted Tomatoes with Fresh Herbs & Garlic
Don't miss a post! Want my recipes, kitchen tutorials, DIY crafts, and healthy living articles delivered straight to your inbox? Subscribe to my posts via email OR sign up for my weekly newsletter!
Pin this for later!
I'd like to hear from YOU!
What was the best thing you fixed in 2014? Did you try a new recipe or learn a technique that you're now in love with? Tell me about it in the comments below!